Current Affairs 8 3 2018
1. International Women`s Day: 8 March
International Women`s Day (IWD) is celebrated on March 8 every year. It commemorates the movement for women`s rights.
- While the first observance of a Women`s Day was held on February 28, 1909 in New York, March 8 was suggested by the 1910 International Woman`s Conference to become an “International Woman`s Day.”
- Theme for the year 2018 is ‘Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives’.
2. World ATM congress held in Spain
The Airports Authority of India (AAI) is participating in World ATM Congress (WATMC) 2018 being held at IFEMA, Feria de Madrid, Spain from March 6 to 8.
- World ATM Congress is the world`s largest international air traffic management (ATM) exhibition and conference attracting thousands of delegates each year.
- The AAI is showcasing its achievements and initiatives, through a stall at the conference.
3. Global Firepower ranks India’s military as fourth strongest
India’s military is placed fourth on a global index that has ranked 133 countries on the basis of their global military prowess.
- The US, Russia and China were on top three positions respectively.
- India’s western neighbour Pakistan ranks 13 on the Global Firepower (GFP) list 2017.
4. Centre sanctions Rs 1,000 crore for research and innovation
The Union Government has announced a grant of Rs 1,000 crore for the second phase of the Impacting Research Innovation and Technology (IMPRINT) India programme.
- Under the IMPRINT-II, a fund is being created by the Department of Science and Technology and Ministry of Human Resource Development together, in which participation will come from industry and other interested Ministries.
- Under the IMPRINT-I Programme, 142 projects at a cost of Rs. 318.71 crore are already under implementation.
5. Cabinet approves MoU between UPSC and Public Service Commission of Mauritius
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and Public Service Commission of Mauritius.
- The MoU will strengthen the existing relationship between UPSC and Public Service Commission of Mauritius.
- It will facilitate sharing of experience and expertise of both the parties in the area of recruitment.
- The MoU will develop institutionalized linkage between the Public Service Commissions of two countries.
6. Swachh Shakti 2018 to be held in Lucknow
The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, in association with the Government of Uttar Pradesh, is organizing a Women’s Convention – called Swachh Shakti 2018 – on International Women’s Day, at Lucknow.
- 8000 women sarpanches, 3000 women Swachhagrahis, 2000 mahilasamakhyas from Uttar Pradesh and women sarpanches from across the country have been invited to recognize their outstanding contribution towards making Swachh Bharat a reality in rural India.
- Last year, 6000 women sarpanches from across the country had assembled in Gujarat on the occasion of International Women’s Day under the banner Swachh Shakti 2017.
7. RK Singh launches National E-Mobility Programme
Shri R K Singh, Union Minister of State (IC) Power and New & Renewable Energy, launched the National E-Mobility Programme.
- The Programme aims to provide an impetus to the entire e-mobility ecosystem including vehicle manufacturers, charging infrastructure companies, fleet operators, service providers, etc.
- The Programme will be implemented by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) which will aggregate demand by procuring electric vehicles in bulk to get economies of scale.
8. NITI Aayog to launch Women Entrepreneurship Platform
NITI Aayog, the premier think tank of the country will launch its Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) on 8th March on the occasion of the International Women`s Day.
- NITI Vice Chairman Rajiv Kumar, CEO, Amitabh Kant, UN Resident Coordinator in India Yuri Afanasiev and Kailash Kher, along with industry leaders and partners of WEP will be present on this occasion
- Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) would provide a vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem where women do not face any gender-based barriers.
- The platform aspires to substantially increase the number of women entrepreneurs who will create and empower a dynamic New India.
- WEP will provide opportunities to women to realize their entrepreneurial aspirations, scale-up innovative initiatives and chalk-out sustainable, long-term strategies for their businesses.
9. Biplab Deb to be the new Tripura Chief Minister
Tripura BJP president and newly-elected MLA Biplab Kumar Deb was unanimously elected leader of the BJP legislature party in the state, Union minister Nitin Gadkari announced.
- Deb, whose name was proposed by party MLA Sudip Roy Burman in the meeting, will be the new chief minister of Tripura, Gadkari said.
- BJP MLA Jishnu Debbarma will be the deputy chief minister.
- Deb will stake claim to form government in the state before Governor Tathagata Roy.
11. Nagaland`s Governor P.B. Acharya has appointed NDPP leader Neiphiu Rio as the new chief minister of the state. He will sworn in on 8th March. (नगालैंड के राज्यपाल पीबी आचार्य ने एनडीपीपी के वरिष्ठ नेता नेफ्यू रियो को प्रदेश का मुख्यमंत्री नियुक्त किया। वह आठ मार्च को शपथ लेंगे। )
12. Amazon’s founder and CEO Jeff Bezos has topped Forbes’s 2018 ‘World’s Billionaires’ list. (अमेज़ॅन के संस्थापक और सीईओ जेफ बेजोस फोर्ब्स की 2018 `विश्व की अरबपतियों` सूची में शीर्ष स्थान पर हैं।
13. Iraq has overtaken Saudi Arabia to become India’s top crude oil exporter by supplying 38.9 million tonnes (MT) crude oil in the current financial year. (इराक, चालू वित्त वर्ष में 38.9 मिलियन टन (एमटी) कच्चे तेल की आपूर्ति के साथ सऊदी अरब को पछाड़कर भारत का शीर्ष कच्चे तेल का निर्यातक बन गया है।
14. Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping, Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Nitin Gadkari has launched Sukhad Yatra mobile application and 1033 Toll-free Emergency number for highway users. (सड़क परिवहन एवं राजमार्ग, जहाजरानी, जल संसाधन, नदी विकास और गंगा कायाकल्प मंत्री, नितिन गडकरी ने राजमार्ग उपयोगकर्ताओं के लिए सुखद यात्रा मोबाइल एप्लिकेशन और 1033 टोल फ्री इमरजेंसी नंबर लॉन्च किया है।
15. Former Congress MLA, Surta Singh Maravi died. He was 75. (कांग्रेस के पूर्व विधायक सुरता सिंह मरावी का निधन हो गया। वह 75 वर्ष के थे। )
7. India will become the 69th member of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD). (भारत यूरोपीय पुर्निनर्माण और विकास बैंक (ईबीआरडी) का 69वां सदस्य बनेगा।
16. Former Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association (MPCA) chairman M K Bhargav died. He was 78. (मध्यप्रदेश क्रिकेट संगठन (एमपीसीए) के पूर्व चेयरमैन एमके भार्गव का निधन हो गया। वह 78 वर्ष के थे।
17. Headquarters of the Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI) has been shifted from Chennai to Haryana`s Ballabhgarh. (भारतीय पशु कल्याण बोर्ड (एडब्ल्यूबीआई) के मुख्यालय को चेन्नई से हरियाणा के बल्लभगढ़ में स्थानांतरित कर दिया गया है।
18. Former Australia Test opener Ed Cowan announced his retirement from professional cricket. आस्ट्रेलिया के पूर्व टेस्ट सलामी बल्लेबाज एड कोवान ने पेशेवर क्रिकेट से संन्यास लेने की घोषणा की।
19. Naveen Patnaik has launched the ‘Ama Gaon, Ama Bikas’ (Our village, Our development) programme. नवीन पटनायक ने `अमा गांव, अमा विकास` (हमारा गाँव, हमारा विकास) कार्यक्रम शुरू किया है।