current affairs 30th August 2022
- Queen Máxima of the Netherlands calls on President Droupadi Murmu in New Delhi.
- Iraq: Influential Shia cleric Moqtada al-Sadr (49) announces retirement from politics
Pakistan Floods: First aid flights begin arriving in the country from Turkey, UAE
International Day against Nuclear Tests observed by the UN on August 29
Stockholm World Water Week is held from August 23 to Sept 1; the theme: is “Seeing the Unseen: The Value of Water”
- National Sports Day is celebrated on August 29, the birth anniversary of hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand.
Amit Shah to visit Bihar in September
Union Home Minister and BJP leader Amit Shah will visit Bihar on 23rd-24th September. It will be his 1st visit to the state after BJP lost power there. He will be meeting party workers and attending public meetings during his visit to Purnea and Kishanganj.
PM Modi asks farmers to plant millets
During his ‘Mann ki Baat’ address, Prime Minister Narendra Modi urged farmers to adopt millet as the preferred crop. He highlighted the benefits of the nutritious grain and how India is trying to promote it globally. He said that India is the biggest producer of millet and hence, it is our responsibility to bring it on the global map.
PM Modi wishes the nation on National Sports Day
Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted to wish the nation on National Sports Day celebrated on 29th August.
PM Modi thanks the people of Gujarat for their affection
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on a 2-day visit to his home state Gujarat. He thanked the people for their affection and shared some highlights of his visit:
India to strengthen bilateral cooperation with Latin America
After foreign minister S Jaishankar’s successful visit to Brazil, Argentina, and Paraguay, India will strengthen its bilateral engagement with Latin America. EAM Jaishankar’s visit was successful with countries looking forward to engaging with India.
UNGA President hails India role in peacekeeping during his visit
United Nations General Assembly President Abdulla Shahid was on a visit to India and met with Vice President Jagdeep Dhankhar, EAM S Jaishankar, and foreign secretary Vinay Kwatra. He acknowledged India’s role in peacekeeping and at the UN. He also thanked the Indian government for its support of his Presidency.
3 more leaders resign from Congress in support of Ghulam Nabi Azad
Gulam Hyder Malik, Subash Gupta, and Sham Lal Bhagat sent their resignations to the Congress High command in support of Ghulam Nabi Azad. The veteran leader resigned from the Congress party last week.
Rahul Gandhi to walk ‘all the way’ during Bharat Jodo Yatra
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi will be walking from Kanyakumari to Kashmir during the Bharat Jodo Yatra. The 3,500 km yatra will begin on 7th September from Kanyakumari with a rally.
PM Modi expressed his condolences to Pakistanis affected by the flood
In a tweet, PM Modi expressed his condolences to the families of victims of the flood in Pakistan. It is also expected that Pakistan may import some necessary food items from India. Pakistan stopped trading with India in 2019 when the special status of Jammu and Kashmir was revoked.
- UK biggest aircraft carrier, HMS Prince of Wales broke down off the south coast of England on its way to the US.
- Papua New Guinea Prime Minister James Marape to meet Australia Foreign Minister Penny Wong.
- The IMF Board has approved $1.17 billion of funds as part of the bailout program for Pakistan.
- The Sri Lankan government may sell a 49% stake in the national carrier ‘Sri Lankan Airlines since the government does not have funds to run the airlines.
- A city in Canada has renamed one of its streets in honor of Indian musician AR Rahman.
- With Serena Williams retiring from tennis, the sister duo Serena Williams and Venus Williams will be playing once again on the court for the last time. The US Open has given them wild cards into doubles at the US Open.
- Japanese Tennis star Naomi Osaka paid tribute to Serena Williams and called her the ‘biggest force’ in Tennis.
- Bangladesh is to play against Afghanistan in the Asia Cup tournament today.
- Serena Williams won the 1st round in the US Open by defeating Danka Kovinic.