SSC CGL 2017 Exam Details
SSC CGL 2017 Vacancy
The Central Government has announced that they will hire as many as 2.2 Lakh people from March, 2015. Out of these a maximum of 70,000 vacancies, will be created in Income Tax, Excise and Customs Department. Approximately 14 lac candidates appear for the SSC CGL exam every year. The SSC CGL Exam 2016 had an initial count of 4500 to 5000 vacancies. However, the number of vacancies was increased to 9000 later. For 2017 CGL Exam, the expected number of vacancies may be more than 30,000, given a slew of hiring in the Income Tax Department.
SSC CGL 2017 Exam Dates :-
The tentative schedule for the SSC CGL 2017 exam is as follows. Please note down the important dates related to SSC CGL Exam 2017 and make sure to complete the process in time.
|Application form will be available from||16th May 2017|
|Last date for registration||16th June 2017|
|SSC CGL Tier-1 Exam||1st Aug to 20th Aug 2017|
|SSC CGL Tier-2 Exam||10th-11th November 2017|
|SSC CGL Tier-3 Exam||21st January 2018|
|Skill Test/Computer Skill Test||February 2018|
SSC CGL Recruitment 2017 :-
The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts the Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Exam for the recruitment of Grade “B” and “C” category posts in various Government Ministries, Departments and Offices. The exam is held in 4 stages called Tiers. While the first two are online the latter two are offline exams. The entire process of registration and communication happens online through the official website of SSC CGL. Candidates must qualify each stage of the SSC CGL exam to proceed to the next one, before being finally selected.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern :-
The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts the Combined Graduate Level (CGL) every year in four levels for various posts. Exam Pattern - The Examination will be conducted in four tiers as indicated below:
|Tier – I||Objective Multiple Choice||Computer Based (online)|
|Tier – II||Objective Multiple Choice||Computer Based (online)|
|Tier – III||Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi||Pen and Paper mode|
|Tier – IV||Skill Test/Computer Proficiency Test||Wherever Applicable|
Before beginning the SSC CGL preparation, it is important to make note of changes in exam pattern and syllabus. The modifications to SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2017 for Tier 1 & 2 are given below:
• SSC CGL 2017 Tier 1 and Tier 2 exam will be conducted in online mode.
• Introduction of a descriptive paper of 100 marks within 60 minutes in pen and paper mode.
• Reduction in time limit for examination of Tier -I from 120 minutes to 75 minutes.
• Tier II will remain same.
• No Sectional Cut off.
SSC CGL Syllabus 2017
Since the SSC CGL is comprised of 4 different levels, we must deal with their syllabus independently.
SSC CGL Tier 1 SyllabusThis is an objective exam which will be conducted online. There are 4 sections in the Tier 1 exam of SSC CGL 2017, with 100 questions which account for a total of 200 marks. The subject-wise details are given below:
|Section||Subject||No of Questions||Max Marks||Exam Duration|
|1||General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50||75 minutes|
• There is negative marking in SSC CGL 2017 Tier 1 Exam. Giving a wrong answer to a question will lead to a penalty of 0.5 marks in all sections
• The exam duration is 100 minutes for candidates who are visually handicapped.
SSC CGL Tier 2 Syllabus
This is an objective exam which will be conducted online. There are 4 sections in the Tier 2 exam of SSC CGL 2017, with 100 questions which account for a total of 200 marks. The subject-wise details are given below:
|Paper||Subject||No of Questions||Max Marks||Exam Duration|
|1||Quantitative Abilities||100||200||2 Hours|
|2||English Language and Comprehension||200||200||2 Hours|
|4||General Studies (Finance & Economics)||100||200||2 Hours|
• Paper-1 and Paper-2 are compulsory for all posts
• Paper-3 is only for the post of “Statistical Investigator Gr. II” & “Compiler”
• Paper-4 is only for the post of “Assistant Audit Officer”
• There is negative marking in SSC CGL 2017 Tier 2 exam. Giving a wrong answer to a question will lead to a penalty of 0.5 marks in Paper-1,3,4 and 0.25 marks in Paper-2.
• Questions in Paper-I will be of 10th standard level, Paper-2 of 10+2 level and Paper-3 & 4 of graduation level.
• The computer will be provided by the Commission at the Centre/venue notified for the purpose. Candidates shall not be allowed to bring their own Key-board.
• The exam duration is 2 Hours and 40 Minutes for candidates who are visually handicapped.
SSC CGL Tier 3 Exam Syllabus
This is a descriptive exam that is designed to test the written skills of the candidates in English/Hindi. It is conducted offline and candidates need to write Essay/Letter/Application/Precis. The best way to prepare for the same is to read lots of articles from various newspapers. Apart from this, you need to be well aware of the pattern of Letter and Application.
• The exam is of 60 minutes’ duration and carries 100 marks.
• The questions are based on 10+2 level.
• The exam is qualifying in nature.
• The exam duration is 80 minutes for candidates who are visually handicapped or suffer from cerebral palsy.
SSC CGL Tier 4 Exam Syllabus
The Tier 4 of SSC CGL Exam 2017 comprises of a couple of skill tests which are required for certain government posts.
1. DEST (Data Entry Speed Test): This skill test is of qualifying nature for all the posts, other than Compiler, and is used to check the typing speed of the candidate. The candidates are given printed matter in English which they must accurately type on a computer with a minimum of 2000 (two thousand) key depressions in a duration of 15 (fifteen) minutes.
2. CPT (Computer Proficiency Test):The Commission will hold CPT, comprising three modules - Word Processing, Spread Sheet and Generation of Slides, for applicants for the post of Assistants of CSS. CPT will be of a qualifying nature.
SSC CGL Eligibility Criteria
There are 4 important criteria which a candidate must fulfill in order to be eligible for the SSC CGL 2017. The 4 parameters are given below:
1. Citizenship: Candidate must be a citizen of India
2. Age Limit: There are different set of age limits for different posts in SSC CGL Exam 2017, which are tabulated below:
|Required Age Limit||SSC CGL Post Name|
|20-30 years||Assistant Section Officer
Sub-Inspector (Group “B”)
|21-27 years||Intelligence Bureau Assistant Post|
|20-30 years||Inspector of Income Tax
Inspector of Central Excise
Inspector (Preventive officer)
Upper Division Clerk
Inspector (CBN) Compiler
Assistant Enforcement Officer
Sub-Inspector (CBN) Inspector of Posts
|Not exceeding 30 years||Assistant Audit Officer
Assistant Enforcement Officer7
|Up to 32 years||Statistical Investigator Gr. II|
|18-25 years||Sub-Inspector (Group “C”)|
The Government has also provided for Age relaxation for some categories
3. Educational Qualification: The educational qualifications varies according to the post for SSC CGL 2017 and is listed below:
|SSC CGL Post||Educational Qualification|
|Assistant Audit Officer||Bachelor’s Degree in any subject from a recognized University
Desirable Qualification: CA/CS/MBA/Cost &
Management Accountant/ Masters in Commerce/
Masters in Business Studies
|Statistical Investigator Grade – II Post||Bachelor’s Degree from any recognized University
with minimum 60% in Mathematics in Class 12th
Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline with Statistics as
one of the subjects in graduation
|Compiler Posts||Bachelor’s Degree from any recognized University
with Economics or Statistics or Mathematics as
compulsory or Elective Subject
|All Other Posts||Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline from a
recognized University or equivalent
4. Physical Fitness Requirements: Apart from the above, there are certain requisite Physical Standards for Inspector (Central Excise/ Examiner/Preventive Officer), Sub-Inspector in CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) and Sub-Inspector in NIA (National Investigation Agency).
SSC CGL Online Application
The online application for SSC CGL 2017 exam will begin after the release of the official notification. The last date to apply online is 16th June, 2017
SSC CGL Application Fee
• The required application fee is Rs. 100/-
• Exemption: No fee is required to be paid by female, SC, ST, Physically Handicapped, and Ex-Servicemen candidates
• Applications fee should be pay only through SBI either in the form of challan or through SBI Net Banking or any other bank Credit/Debit Card. Challan form will be generated online
• To pay fee in cash, candidate should take print out of challan generated online after the completion of Part-1 registration. Deposit the requisite fee in any branch of SBI and then continue with the Part-2 registration
• Those candidates who want to pay online can go directly to part-2 registration after completion of part-1 registration. Candidate must supply registration number and date of birth to continue to Part-2 registration